Wednesday, March 30, 2016

How mullahs in Iran destroy human beings from within


Interview with a prison guard involved in executions

When the noose is prepared and doors leading to the prison courtyard are closed, he realizes an execution will be carried out soon. However, he has no idea he is the very person scheduled to carry out today’s execution.
“Rasoul” is a simple private 3rd class soldier assigned in the units protecting the Prisons Organization in Iran. There was five months left to his duty period and one day his commander calls him over and says, “You have to be the guard carrying out the execution today.”


“When my commander said these words, I was both very stressed and agitated,” he told IranWire. “To tell you the truth, in the past I had an awkward feeling of witnessing executions. In the prison where I served there was always a noose ready and each day in the morning the doors to the courtyard close, not open until the execution is carried out. When I saw the noose I had become curious, to actually see an execution. However, the other soldiers would not allow me, saying only when I personally carry out the execution myself.”
The first time he stands alongside the gallows he see his arms and legs shiver, even more than the man brought to be executed.
“My own legs weren’t able to take a step, but I was told to take the prisoner to the noose and place it around his neck. His feet were chained and he couldn’t walk very easily. Despite the fact that I was shaking myself, I could literally feel how he was shivering. Something inside me said I am losing my humanity, and I myself am being executed along with this man!!”
The man had received a death sentence for purchasing and selling narcotics, and so-called social corruption.
“An execution is different from qisas, or retribution in kind. Qisas has a personal aspect, while executions have a more public and governmental aspect. In qisas the victim’s parents are present and they can pardon the individual about to be executed. And if they don’t, they are the one’s pulling the stool from under the man’s feet after the noose is placed around his neck. However, in executions, there is no forgiving at the scene of the execution. State authority responsible for the execution, being soldiers or employees of the sentence office, have to pull the stool from under the suspect’s feet. Of course, in the prison where I was serving they continued to use a stool. However, I’ve heard that in large prisons there is a lever that the guard simply pushes.”
After the indictment is read out loud, Rasoul had to pull the stool from below the man’s feet. 
“The moment the stool is thrown away the role of this particular guard is over and he has to immediately leave the scene.”

Rasoul couldn’t sleep for two nights, always having nightmares and never able to forgive himself.
“My conscience had brought thoughts engulfing me, and I considered myself the element behind the death of a human being, constantly blaming myself. I went to the prison counsellor and told him everything to maybe find a solution. He said these are people that have to die. These individuals that are executed, they have actually killed themselves. You are not actually killing anyone. He then went on with more religious this and that. Yet the fear in my soul hadn’t diminished at all.”
Rasoul took part in such scenes around 15 times, witnessing very strange moments through the process.
“One day when I took a man to place the noose around his neck, I was so afraid that I suddenly began wetting my pants.”
He once cried at the scene of an execution, showing there was that glimmer of humanity left in him.
“A 19-year old boy was in prison. He had gotten into a fight with a friend and due to the pressure he was under he had committed unpremeditated murder. He was a very smart and polite young man. He also had many ideas regarding various topics. The prison’s social office tried hard to convince the victim’s family to pardon the young man, but the family would not concede. On the day of the execution I took the young man to the gallows. The family of the victim pulled the stool from under his feet and he was left hanging there. I began crying on the spot. I couldn’t bear it any longer.”
It has been two years now that his duty term as a soldier has come to an end, yet he becomes bewildered whenever those memories come back. His voice shakes when saying, “It has been two years that I have been seeing a psychiatrist and also consuming pills constantly to decrease the anxiety and fight off the nightmares. Please excuse me if my voice trembles, I can’t help it.”
Rasoul has witnessed executions carried out in prisons, but never in public executions.
“Guards taking part in executions inside prisons don’t use any masks. However, they have to cover their faces in public executions because in such scenes the family of the suspects are also present and they may actually seek revenge if they see the guards’ faces.”
Dark clothing and faces covered with black masks, with only their two eyes revealed, are the looks of the guards seen taking part in public executions. Images published of such scenes sometimes make the headlines. Such as the scene of two very young men being executed. Footage of the two stealing by force were captured by mobile phones. One of the young men being executed found no other place of refuge but the shoulder of the guard taking him for his execution. He placed his head there, and began weeping. He was executed a few moments later.
One cannot deny the fact that even those masked guards that carry out executions in public have moments of conscience, similar to that of Rasoul. However, they suppress this inner dispute.
Video footage of a man asking to see his mother before being executed, and the guard he kicked and the handcuffs he broke, was another scene that went “viral” and showed the horrors of public hangings in Iran. These images forced officials involved in public executions to realize the need to use “Nopo” guards in such scenes, an informed source said.

But what are “Nopo” guards? This will be the subject of my next report.

No comments:

Post a Comment